Sunday, January 22, 2006

Intellect vs Faith

I agree with this quote from Joseph F. Smith:

“God has revealed to us a simple and effectual way of serving Him, and we should regret very much to see the simplicity of those revelations involved in all sorts of philosophical speculations. If we encouraged them it would not be long before we should have a theological scholastic aristocracy in the Church, and we should therefore not enjoy the brotherhood that now is, or should be common to rich and poor, learned and unlearned among the Saints.”

For Joseph Smith said:

"The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the apostles and prohets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven: and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it.” (History of the Church,3:30.)

I think sometimes simple faith reveals greater knowledge than higher intellect. Remember Lucifer was a brilliant son in heaven, but this higher knowledge allowed his ego to feed his pride into false reasoning. It is a trap that is very inviting in intellectual circles to enter in, but once your ego is fatten the hole is often to small for many to get back out.

In June 1972 while in the Mission home in SLC I had the honor of receiving my Endowment in the Salt Lake Temple. Following that event our missionary group was invite to the 5th floor of the Temple in the Priesthood assembly area to hear President Lee give a short talk and do some Q&A. During the Q&A time I got to ask President Lee a question. I asked how Adam & Eve were literally created. It was quiet in the Temple before I asked that question, but a greater hush went through the crowd after I asked. To me it was an honest humble sincere request, but to the majority of the missionaries they thought I was out of line. President Lee saw my heart and answered it was a scripture as he answered all the questions that day by opening the books before us. The answer was we learn that answer in the future. What happened after the meeting is more important. I stayed behind with a few other Elders to shake hands with President Lee. He was very friendly and asked us to walk out with him. As we entered the hallway he stopped and put his arm around my shoulders and said, “Elder ‘Old Charley’ I want you always to remember this.” He turned me around and point to a spot in the Temple and said, ” This is the very spot that the Lord Jesus Christ appeared to the Prophet Lorrenso Snow while he was praying in this Temple.” He then announced to those around us that the Lord Jesus Christ has walked and does walk the halls of this Temple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home